Pages

January 3, 2017

One Word 2017...I may need your help!


Like most folks, I struggle with New Year's Resolutions. So much that I no longer even attempt them.

Do you ever wonder what resolutions people have or the statistics on how long they last?? Click Here for some New Year's Resolutions Statistics.

A few years ago, I was able to watch a short clip by Jon Gordon that allowed me to rethink the process. 

Here is the video in case you missed it.

ONE WORD - Jon Gordon

Basically, you choose a word which sums up what YOU want out of the new year. There is more to it than that but I will probably butcher it if I try to describe in detail, so check it out on your own. Plus, tons of people are getting into it. It is fun to see everybody's word for the year. Go to Twitter or Facebook and type #OneWord or look on your favorite blogs, you will see a bunch! 

Here are a few of my favorites so far...(check them out).

Dr. Ryan Jackson's #OneWord - Progress
Julie Davis's #OneWord - Brave
Christopher King's #OneWord - Growth


The past couple of years, I chose the same word...PRESENT. The reason...I was terrible at wrapping presents...just kidding (no really, I am bad a wrapping presents too but that's another story).

I was bad about not being PRESENT with my family and friends. I was there but I was not there...ever felt that way??

Since that time, I cannot say that I am cured but I will say that I am able to remind myself very quickly and easily when I am not being PRESENT with the people I care about most. And I will say, I have improved. I even have a daily reminder on my desk...Thanks to Kim Uselton!



The concept does work!

I will continue to use the word PRESENT because it works for me (most of the time...I still fail, but that is ok). However, it is pretty ingrained in me now so I think it is time to add another #OneWord to my repertoire.  

I know EXACTLY what I need to focus on. 

I have thought and thought and thought and the same idea has popped into my head. 

The problem, it is not #OneWord but two. 

Mental Toughness

That's it, mental toughness. I stink at it. 
What I mean by stinking at it is...

If I need to get up at 5:30am to run or workout...I stink at it.
If I need to read or write instead of watching one of my shows (see last post), I stink at it.
If I need to ignore that bag of Doritos and a cold beer...I stink at it.

I am in a constant battle with my mind. I need to be more mentally tough! 

So...this is where I may need your help. 

Do I try to find a one word solution for mental toughness (if so do you have any suggestions)? 

Or, do I simply use mental toughness as my #TwoWords mantra to define my 2017? Who knows, maybe a new trend will start...What are your #TwoWords??

The reality of it is this. I know it is more about the PROCESS. If I am thinking about what my weaknesses might be or what I need to focus on for the new year, then I am already moving in the right direction. 

So...think about what YOU want out of 2017. If you come up with that #OneWord that ultimately describes your PROCESS, that is awesome! If it happens to be two words, that will do just fine. The key is finding that word, words, mantra, whatever and use it to guide your life. You and I will improve.

MS

No comments: