Pages

June 23, 2017

The Not So Scary World of Technology...Week 3


Week 3 of The Not So Scary World of Technology and we have not given up YET!!

In fact, I have added some people to the class. When I started this venture, I did not realize how difficult it would be...it is! However, I feel that each week we are making progress.

As said in previous posts, the main goal of this class is to change everyone's mindset to one of "I can do it and I am not afraid." We are not there yet but I can see it happening.

We kicked off the session with a simple question...

How many of you broke your devices last week??

I actually got some giggles which meant they understood the meaning behind the question. Over and over I have told them, the only way you are going to break it is by dropping it on the ground or dumping it in the toilet. Of course I know that is not entirely true but it gets the point across and also gets the participants thinking that as long as they stay away from pavement or toilets, they are good to go.

Tinkering and risk-taking is encouraged in this classroom. 

We accomplished a ton in three weeks. Here is what we are perfecting so far.

We learned the appropriate way to take photos with devices (interestingly enough, I had a couple bring me an article from AARP that listed some of the very things I discussed with them...gave me some credibility!).

We learned how to send photos from various devices as well as create albums.

We learned about certain icons that are universal, such as the trash can, the plus sign, the minus sign, the different dots that Google has...etc.

This past week, ALL participants created a Pandora account and we learned how to log in and select specific genres of music. They loved that!

We discussed the differences in Wifi and data...we will continue to discuss these because I believe too many times people get stuck with larger bills because they do not understand the difference. I know it seems simple but it really is not, especially to someone who tends to avoid looking beyond Facebook or whatever keeps them glued to the smart phone.

So what is next? One of our goals is to make sure we learn about programs, apps, etc that are not device specific. I think there are other apps or programs that are beneficial but so far, I have Macs, Kindles, IPads, Iphones, PCs and Androids all in one class...it can be tough if everyone is doing something different.

So, for that reason, we are going to begin exploring Google next week. I am going to have all of the participants sign up for a Google account (if they do not have one) and we are going to start diving into those apps that can be most beneficial to everyone.

Honestly, I am excited about that!

In this process, I am gaining so much. I have been out of the classroom for a decade and it has not been easy BUT I am definitely getting into a groove and I truly believe this is something beneficial for all (including me). I invite anyone who wants, to come join us. Whether you are afraid of technology or not, it is an awesome experience and I guarantee it will not be an hour (sometimes hour and a half) wasted.

In case you are wondering...next class is Wednesday, June 28th at 12pm. We meet at Trinity Lutheran Church in Tullahoma, TN.

Bring a device, bring your lunch, bring a friend but mostly bring an open mind...we all have room to learn.



MS


No comments: