Pages

June 6, 2016

The Urinal Pattern...

Here is an interesting observation...hang with me on this, it may seem way out there.

I got this idea the other day when going to the bathroom....stay with me.  This was a bathroom I used on a regular basis in a school where I previously taught. My mind was sparked for one reason...I went to the same urinal that I always used when I was a teacher there 7 years ago. I didn't even think about, went straight to the same urinal as I always did.  Again, bear with me...



This act got me thinking about how often I do this in other situations. For example, I always put my left leg in my pants first. I park in the same parking space at work every day. I take the same route to school each day. When I have hair on my head...I twirl the same piece of hair. I could go on and on and on.

Anyways, this made me wonder, am I OCD? Is this normal? It also made me ask the question, "what if I used a different urinal???" Would the Earth stop spinning? Would hell freeze over?

OK, here it is...

Of course the Earth will not stop spinning! Of course hell would not freeze over! What would happen is this, I did something different for a change. Although I am a firm believer that patterns are important in life and that the comfort of sameness can give us a calming effect that helps us make it through the day. However, I also think these same patterns are detrimental to our growth as human-beings. The problem is, we get too comfortable! Understand that I have left the urinal story and am now relating this to OUR everyday lives. When we do the same things over and over, we get comfortable, and it is just easier to maintain the status quo.

Although status quo is good in some instances, when trying to grow it can be a hindrance. As educators, if we continue on the status quo, will we be able to reach our students? Will doctors find cures for cancer? Will engineers be able to build better rockets? Will technology gurus be able to build faster computers? Will porcelain experts be able to build better urinals (sorry, had to throw that one in there).

My point is simply this...challenge yourself to do something different, to not follow the status quo. Easier said than done, I know, I know but that is why it is a challenge. So tomorrow, challenge yourself to try new strategies, challenge yourself to learn something new, challenge yourself to challenge your students (co-workers, employees, etc), challenge yourself to move over one urinal to the right or left...it could change your life!

MS

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So, now you understand why I am riding a motorcycle for a year and forgoing a car. I've reached the point where if I don't seek change and discomfort that I will not thrive. I enjoy the sensation of the weather. I enjoy looking at transportation, and the act of all-weather locomotion from a different angle. It has been soooooo good for my soul.
Next week I will hit my sixth month of being car free......liberated.
I understand your post, brother.

Unknown said...

That being said, I also only.....and I mean only, use the fourth treadmill from the front door at Harvey's.

Mick Shuran said...

That's funny! I usually use the same elliptical.

Keep up the adventure on the two wheeler, it's fun and inspirational...and I'm only watching!