Pages

August 11, 2016

Getting into the trenches...


Let it be know that on August 11th, 2016, I started my very first "Coaching Day." 

The coaching day was an idea I "stole" from Amy Fadeji (@mrsfadeji), a elementary school principal from Sonoma, California. She was even kind enough to do a Google Hangout with me this past summer to help me formulate my plan. 

Day one was a success!!



Let me share with you what this looks like...

First of all I sent an email to all of my folks at West Middle School. I also shared a link to a video (Click that to watch it) explaining how this process works. Basically, if the teachers need me on any Thursday of the school year, they simply sign up using a Google Form that I have created. I told them I would wash tables, hang signs, teach lessons...be creative and I would attempt it. At first I do not think anyone believed me so it took awhile for folks to sign up all of the FUN.

The tipping point came when a teacher of mine was trying to figure out how they could leave early to make it to the first Vols football game. I simply said, "It's on a Thursday, sign me up for something!" And now, I will be teaching a lesson on the history of the Tullahoma High School Fight Song...should be interesting.


Today I...

talked about motivation
played volleyball
finished in the top 5 of kahoot in 7th grade math
taught students how to use Google Keep
discussed transportation in social studies.
I even won some Smarties


 The biggest question...Why??

Here is a lesson from a veteran principal (yes I am a veteran). It is IMPORTANT to get out of your office and experience what the students and teachers are doing. It does not have to look like this, it can really be anything. As long as it gets you out of your office and in the trenches.

That is why I did it. I needed to get away from the day to day office work that can CONSUME me. We have all been there. We have all checked our emails and seen 500 in the inbox and been overwhelmed.

My solution...coaching days. One day a week, where I am not consumed. One day a week where I am experiencing what goes on outside of my office. We all know that some of the office work is necessary but I believe so is getting in the trenches. This is my solution and does not have to be the same for you.

I encourage you to step outside of our comfort zone, try something new and different. Reach out to other folks and pick their brains, much like I did. Try it, if it doesn't work, try something else. The biggest reward is not getting away from you office for a day but seeing the awesome things happening first hand.

Who knows, you may even win some Smarties...

MS


No comments: