Pages

June 30, 2017

The Not So Scary World of Technology...Week 4


We have made it an entire month! I have not collected any data because...well, I wanted this to be fun, not business. My gut (my best data) says that things are going well. The group is growing and word is spreading that WE are not going to be afraid of technology anymore.

Here is a GREAT story...

A participant had a specific question on how to do something with her device. I asked her to explain to me the steps she took to try and fix it herself. She told me step by step what she did and I (with a smile) said, that is exactly what I would have done. The interesting thing is that she was not sure and was afraid that she might mess something up but did it anyways. I call that a tinkerer and told her she was in good company. 

The class started with the weekly question..."Who broke their devices this week?" Of course no one did because we continuously emphasize the fact that it is near impossible to break it unless you drop or flush it. I know I sound like a broken record but EVERYONE in there knows that I am going to say that at least once.

Our next step was introducing everyone to Google. About 1/3 of the class already had a google account so we spent a large portion of time setting up accounts for everyone else. We met no resistance to this and I believe folks were eager to try it out.

Here is why I choose Google...

1. It is FREE

2. It is not device-specific.

I gave the example of IBooks (most everybody had an apple product) and Kindle. IBooks on the IPad and IPhone is great. However, I prefer Kindle because it is not device-specific. This helped the participants understand that part of the why.

Most of the time was spent getting people to log in but most importantly we reviewed certain symbols that were specific to Google. That way, as they tinker this week, these symbols will be familiar.

Recognize any of these??



Although this was the most difficult task for most of them so far, I felt there was an excitement in the air. The remainder of our classes (through July) are going to be aligned with specific Google apps and extensions that I believe can make their lives easier. With easier comes confidence and with confidence comes the ultimate goal...mindset change.

As said before, the participants seem to be getting something out of this, at least I hope it is not a waste of their time. But quite honestly, I am learning so much about myself and how to approach adult learnings that I realize this is a win win for everyone.

If you want to come participate, by all means come join us. If you want to come watch, you are more than welcome to do that as well. Come check the changing of a mindset.

Next week we meet on Wednesday at noon at Trinity Lutheran Church. The remainder of the classes through July will meet on Tuesdays at noon.  I hope to see you there!

MS

No comments: